Genres (Kinds of Literature)
Historical Fiction - A fictional story that takes place in a particular time period in the past. Often the setting is real, but the characters are made up from the author's imagination.
Fantasy - A story including elements that are impossible such as talking animals or magical powers.
Realistic Fication - A story using made-up characters but could happen in real life.
Poetry - Poetry is verse written to creae a response of thought and feeling from the reader. It often uses rhythm and rhyme.
Autobiography - The story of a rela person's life that is written by that person.
Science Fiction - A type of fantasy that uses science and technology. (robots, time machines, etc.)
Mystery - A suspenseful story about a puzzling event that is not solved until the end of the story.
Biography - The story of a real person's life written by another person.
Traditional Literature - Stories that are passed down from one group to another in history. This includes folktales, legends, fables, fairy tales, tall tales, and myths from different cultures.
Informational - Texts that provide facts about a variety of topics (sports, animals, science, history, careers, travel, geography, space, weather, etc.)
Students may also use other ideas to show that they have read a book such as but not limited to:
1. making bookmarks for the class that illlustrate important parts of the book
2. making a diorama of a scene from the book
3. making a mobile to illustrate the characters, setting, etc. of the book
4. giving an oral book report to the teacher
5. making puppets of the characters and acting out part of the story
6. make a poster about the book
7. Design a medal for a book and write why this book deserves the medal
8. draw a picture of the setting in the story
9. make a character web about the main character
10. make a diorama about the book
11. write a new ending for the story
12. write the story in a new setting
13. scrapbook a page about the book
14. write a letter to a character
15. write the story in a different year
16. compare this to another book that it reminds you of
17. make the book into a picture book with only picture to tell the story
18. make a windsock for the book
19. design a game about the book
20. write the lesson or purpose for the story
21. which friend would you like from this book and why
22. make a chain with links about the book